Integrity, Trust, Experience And Dedication

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Jeff’s Practice Area Overview
  4.  » 
  5. Family Law
  6.  » Divorce Modification

Modifying The Terms Of Your Agreement After A Life Change

After your family’s breakup, your life will change in a variety of ways that are impossible to anticipate. Fortunately, Georgia’s family law statutes contain provisions for modifying court orders that relate to divorce agreements, custody orders and other agreements that affect your life and the lives of your loved ones.

Receiving a court-approved modification can be difficult to do if you do not have legal experience. However, when you retain lawyer Jeff Hicks, you can be certain that all aspects of this family law issue are handled efficiently. Since 1998, Jeff has helped unmarried parents and divorced parties petition for and contest modifications, securing favorable results in a timely fashion.

Qualified To Represent You After A Substantial Change In Circumstances

In Georgia, family court judges will not approve a custody or support modification unless the petitioning party can establish that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred.

Changes that warrant a revision to a court order after a divorce include:

  • A significant increase or decrease in income, which could affect a parent’s ability to pay child support or alimony
  • A significant change in a parent’s or a child’s schedule, which could affect a visitation or custody arrangement
  • An unforeseen health issue that affects a child or parent, which could affect both the child support or custody agreement
  • A parent’s request to relocate out of state, which could change the visitation arrangement for the noncustodial parent
  • A child’s request to move in with the noncustodial parent
  • A remarriage, which could end one party’s alimony obligations
  • Instances of domestic violence or substance abuse that jeopardize the child’s welfare

It isn’t only divorced or separated parents who may petition for modifications. Unmarried mothers can request child support after paternity is established. For fathers who seek a larger role in their child’s lives, Jeff is qualified to assist with the legitimation process and represent the father in custody or visitation matters.

Receiving A Court Order Is Crucial

Relying on a verbal agreement to modify a custody or support agreement is risky. If you do not receive a court order for your revised agreement, the arrangement is not enforceable. As a result, if the other party violates the terms of the arrangement, you have no legal options for recourse.

Lawyer Hicks will make sure that your modification is handled appropriately so that you can turn to the court to enforce the order. Retaining Jeff can help secure your peace of mind that your family’s interests will be protected now and in the years ahead.

Get In Touch With Jeff Hicks Today

Arrange a confidential appointment with Jeff Hicks at his Lawrenceville office by calling 678-894-9097 or completing his online form. Attorney Hicks proudly serves residents in Gwinnett Country and throughout the state.